John S. Anastasi, MD
This page provides information about a featured electrophysiologist, cardiologist, cardiothoracic surgeon, hospital, heart hospital, arrhythmia center, or atrial fibrillation center.
On this page you will find an overview of this atrial fibrillation patient services provider's atrial fibrillation treatments and background, as well as information about this provider's specialized afib procedures, such as catheter ablation, maze surgery, or the mini maze procedure, and the provider's treatment results, when available. There are also reviews by other afib patients, when available.Provide a Patient Review List Your Services with Us
620 Howard Avenue, Bldg F
Altoona, Pennsylvania 16601
- St. John’s University, Queens, New York
- Bowman Gray School of Medicine of Wake Forest University
- New York University Bellevue Medical Center – General Surgery
- Allegheny General Hospital – Thoracic Surgery
- Board Certifications in General Surgery and Thoracic Surgery
Atrial Fibrillation Procedures
- Full Cox Maze performed in conjunction with bypass or valve procedures
- MiniMaze performed on patients with lone atrial fibrillation, persistent or parasoxymal
In addition to offering a wide range of surgical options for coronary artery disease and valvular disorders, Dr. Anastasi remains committed to perfecting the treatment of atrial fibrillation through surgical intervention.
Patients undergoing open heart surgery who are also in a-fib routinely undergo a full Cox Maze procedure, the gold standard for surgical a-fib treatment. Dr. Anastasi’s success rates for the Cox Maze procedure meet or exceed national averages (>95%).
For patients who only have a-fib, Dr. Anastasi also offers a new, minimally invasive approach known as the MiniMaze procedure. In most cases, patients will achieve similar results to the full Cox Maze but with a shorter recovery period.
Being one of the few surgeons in the country to offer the MiniMaze procedure, Dr. Anastasi’s experience with this procedure is quickly growing. After his first 62 patients, Dr Anastasi is showing promising results for this procedure:
- At 12 months post-operatively, the overall freedom from a-fib is 95%, with 100% of paroxysmal patients being in NSR
- The median length of stay following the procedure is 4 days
- The risk of major complication following the procedure is less than 5%, with 0% mortality
In addition to his experience performing the procedure, Dr. Anastasi serves as a proctor traveling throughout the country teaching other physicians how to perform the MiniMaze procedure.
I came to see Dr. Anastasi because I was tired of taking coumadin every day and constantly having blood work done. Prior to my surgery, I had atrial fibrillation for about a year. Since my surgery, I haven’t had any problems and I feel great.
I had a-fib for about two years before I looked into surgery as an option. I had palpitations every few weeks that made me feel very uncomfortable. It’s been two years since my surgery and I haven’t had any symptoms since. I’ve told all of my friends with a-fib to come see Dr. Anastasi.